b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Texas Football: The Oklahoma State Game 

Week Ten: No. 15 Texas (7-2) vs. Oklahoma State(5-3)
Last Week: Texas 28, Nebraska 25; Oklahoma State 41, Kansas State 39
Last Meeting: Texas 36, Oklahoma State 10 (2006)
All-Time Series: Texas leads, 19-2

I'll be honest... I have very little to say this week.

This has been the strangest season of college football that I can remember, and at this point there is nothing left that can surprise me, especially when it comes to this Texas team. The maelstrom of unbelievable events that have transpired nationwide somewhat masks the mediocrity-turned-potential-greatness-relegated-back-to-mediocrity-highlighted by-potential-superstardom that has transpired on the Forty Acres, but when you think about it Texas' season has been in many ways a microcosmic representation of college football in 2007.

Texas has survived three close games with onside kick recoveries in their final moments; they lost a lopsided game to a team labeled by most as inferior that featured touchdown returns of a punt, kickoff and interception; they stood toe-to-toe with a team believed by most superior, and had an opportunity to win until the very end; And they're 7-2 through nine weeks, and ranked among the nation's fifteen best teams, despite only one win against an oppoenent with a winning record.

Okay...

So what now? I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to think about what I've seen this year. Should I be disappointed? At 7-2 and No. 15? Sure, it could be a sham, but Mack Brown-coached teams often have a tendency to pull together just about the time you dismiss them as underachieving. At the same time I'm not ecstatic that losses in two winnable games are what separates this team from top-ranked Ohio State.

I guess I'm somewhere in between Bill Little, the ultimate sunshine-pumping yes-man, and the the guy (sixth post down) that was so disgusted with the heat and Texas' effort that he left last week's game early, thus missing a historic performance in the fourth quarter. And that's probably not a horrible place to be.

This Week's Game in a Nutshell

I don't know. This game has scared me for six months. I have a sinking feeling that the Cowboys are lying in wait, ready to hand us our third loss.

If our coaching staff can make adjustments prior to the fourth quarter then the Horns could add their second win against a team above .500.

According to NCAA 2008...

*yawn*

TWTWB should return this week

Coming soon...

They Said It...

"Media and fan driven negativity really motivates our team better than praise."

- Mack Brown
Mack Brown Rule No. 8592: When the team plays below expectations, or if anyone sees fit to question decision-making, effort or anything else, blame the fans. For all that he does well, I still wonder why Mack Brown feels the need to take out his frustration on the people that pour millions into this program. Sure, there are plenty of douchebags sporting burnt orange these days, but it ain't their fault that it took a Herculean effort in the final fifteen minutes to overcome a three-TD 'dog.

"Oh yeah, I hear them. You can't let that affect you. We're disappointed just as much as they are."

- Colt McCoy, on boo-birds at DKR
Two things: (1) Booing is pretty asinine (2) Colt, if you're disappointed then f'ing do something about it.

"I'm a MAN! I'm 40!"

- Mike Gundy
I don't think I need a link on this one.

The Things I Think About

How many 3.2 beers does it take to get drunk?

Betcha Didn't Know

Mike Gundy is a man. He's 40.

In the Huddle with "Sir Rod"... and Friends

"Sir Rod" Walker says:

Okay Longhorn lovers...!!!! This is gonna be THE TEST for the Horns! A real test!! This team is known for having the best runnin' backs in the world.....every year! I know. I almost was one. They love to just run up the gut.....(for you ladies..or others who don't know football term)...'up the gut' means 'straight ahead'...right in between the tackles. (it's nothing sexual....not in this context) and they do it well! They will also show a lot of mis-direction plays. They'll make you think they're runnin' one way and will switch directions on you in an instant. Our interior defense has to play smart but grimy, while the secondary needs to stay back b/c they WILL launch one way down the field! They'll suck you in (nothin' sexual.......nor is it crawfish......although tempting) with the run over and over again......then it's bombs away! Offense just needs to execute! enuf said.

THAT'LL BE A 'READY BREAK'!!

hook'em.

Stonie Clark says:

Coming soon...

Tailgate Talk

Eskimo's Joe's is a popular spot in Stillwater. I suppose we'll have to head there, since flying to Oklahoma means we can't transport full-ABV beer with us.

A few other College Football-related Thoughts

  • OU Still Sucks...


  • Fifteen Years Ago this Week

    (note: 2007 marks the 15-year anniversary of the Temple Wildcats' 1992 5A Div. II Texas State Championship, which came during my sophomore year of high school. I'll re-cap that season throughout the fall.)

    Temple destroyed Bryan. I remember this because the Vikings tried an onside kick on the opening kickoff. It didn't work and Temple rolled their way to a 9-1 regular season. Interesting sidenote: Dallas Kimball (who lost in either the first or second round of the playoffs) entered the state playoffs as the No. 1 team in 5A after a narrow win in Week Ten. Had Kimball lost, Temple would have opened the postseason as the state's top team, yet would have technically been the district runner-up, due to a three-way tie in 13-5A with Killeen and Waco.

    By the way, the 2007 Wildcats clinched their first fistrcit title in about 107 years last week. Congrats to Coach Monson and his team.

    Personal Anecdote Involving This Week's Opponent

    Eh, two years ago we saw Barry Sanders at some Bricktown bar the night before the game. I wanted to go up and make a crack about the greatness of Emmitt Smith, but he was swamped with adoring sycophants.

    Semi-Relevant lyric from a great album by a band I miss a lot

    "Too cold to start a fire, I'm burning diesel burning dinosaur bones; I'll take the river down to still water and ride a pack of dogs"

    - Soundgarden, Rusty Cage
    I don't know what the hell it means, and they sure weren't talking about the home of Oklahoma State University, but damn, that's a great song. I'd love to see it on a future Guitar Hero game.

    Deluded/Rational Thoughts from an Opposing Message Board

    I have no desire to visit an Okie State message board.

    The Greg Brown Memorial Pregame Premonition

    Jermichael Finley catches a meaningful pass... we can hope, right?

    Random Oklahoma State parody that's funny, though it could have been so much better



    Prediction: I get extremely bloated from the 3.2 beer.

    Hook'Em!

    |

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?