b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Texas Football: One Year Ago... 

...was the greatest day of my life (and I wasn't the only one).

My recollection from that day:

I remember lunch at Mongolian BBQ, and the trip to the liquor store when my buddy Justin and I left work at 12.

I remember watching three hours of pregame, and seeing our friend Vicki on tv outside the Rose Bowl.

I remember pacing in the kitchen throughout the fourth quarter when I couldn't bear to sit down.

I remember running and hugging all 20-something people in the apartment when Vince scored. I picked up my buddy's wife and twirled her around until both of us nearly vomited.

I remember diving over the back of the couch onto whoever was sitting there and high fiving and screaming and hugging everyone again when Leinert's final pass fell incomplete.

I remember standing on a chair and leading everyone in The Eyes of Texas.

I remember calling my friend Matt and neither of us being able to get out more than a few sentences because we were equally speechless.

I remember going to the Drag, puffing out my chest, and high-fiving everyone that walked by. We screamed "Texas! Fight!" until we were hoarse. We took pictures and hugged strangers. We felt as invincible as Vince.

I remember meeting my friends Robert and Laura and Evan and Melissa and going downtown, where the party was raging and the beer was flowing, and I finally felt like I could drink and not jeopardize not remembering the extraordinary feeling of finally winning a national title.

I remember being in a bar where everyone was glued to the TV, watching highlights of the game.

I remember waking up the next morning feeling better than I had ever felt before in my life.
I don't know if I'll ever get married or have kids. But I do know that I'll never forget Jan. 4, 2006.

Hook'Em!

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?