b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 21, 2005

DVD Review: What the Bleep Do We Know 

What the bleep is this film about? Is it a movie? Is it a documentary? I don't know. It's certainly a snoozer.

This part-fiction, part-non fiction film discusses quantum physics in the context of one woman's (Marlee Matlin) "what does it all mean" life crisis. At least that's what I gathered. I think it was trying to be both empirical and philospohical, but honestly I couldn't tell you because I was bored to tears.

The film injects interviews with scientists into fictional scenes and peppers those with the occasional animation or special effect, that I suppose intends to create some cliched Alice in Wonderland effect for the viewer. It doesn't. The whole thing just comes off like a bad educational film that a lazy prof might show his class when he didn't feel like lecturing.

I turned this movie off after 45 minutes, and I hadn't done that with a movie in a while. Its incoherent intellectual banter just became too much to take. It reminded me somewhat of Waking Life, but unlike that film, What the Bleep fails to create an ambiance that jives with its content. In short, it's an unmitigated disaster of a movie. What the bleep? Bleeping A, man!

2/10

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?