b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 07, 2005

Movies: Super Bowl Spots 

In the past the Super Bowl has provided an avenue for film companies to launch television barrages for upcoming blockbusters. Last night, however, the only spot I recall seeing was for Batman Begins.

I want to see the new Batman movie as much as the next guy, as I've always been a fan of the caped crusader. But no matter how cool it looks, and how much of a relief it will be to see a dark version of the superhero wipe away Joel Schumacher's neon Gotham, there is one movie event this Summer that stands out above everything else: Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith.

Did Lucas run Super Bowl spots for the last two prequels? I really don't remember. Even if he didn't (and I want to say that he did), it seems like there was more hype by now headed into Episodes I and II. Either Lucas thinks this one won't need the hype, or else he's afraid of pimping it too much, in case it turns out to be a disaster. Lucas doesn't seem like he'd let his ego stop him from over-doing the hype of his precious franchise, so I doubt that fear of failure would explain why Episode III lunchboxes aren't already filling the shelves at Wal-Mart.

There must be a reason, though, right? We're inside of 100 days til the epic saga's conclusion, and even the Force.Net is fairly quiet. What gives, George? I sat through four hours of football between teams I didn't like, hoping that you'd tease me with a Star Wars spot. Seriously, you've managed to bilk me and every other Gen-X Star Wars junkie out of hundreds of millions of dollars, as we've lined up to buy your movies and re-releases and special releases and games and toys and everything else you've put out the past three decades. Was a 30-second commercial too much to ask?

I suppose it was. Thanks for nothing, George. Now I kind of hope the Batman Begins kicks your ass this Summer.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?