b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Random: Because Sobriety is Overrated 

What are the odds of this legislation passing?

A bill's been filed in the Texas House that would allow hotel bars to serve alcoholic beverages 24 hours a day, seven days a week even on Christmas. The bill by Democratic state Representative Harold Dutton of Houston would require only that hotel-bar alcohol sales be solely for on-premise consumption.
I'm getting a picture in my head. It's 2:15 a.m. at Austin's swanky Driskill Hotel, where a middle-aged guy in a hounds-tooth coat has just ordered a Pinot Noir for himself and the 20-something piece of arm candy to his right. About that time a horde of drunk Sixth Street yahoos barge in, screaming profanities and ordering rounds of Jose Cuervo and Bud Light, as they seek to continue the post-2 a.m. party.

Yeah, this bill is going to go over really well.

Even the lush in me cringes at the thought. I remember the glory of Bourbon Street and it's all-night bars when my friends and I road-tripped to NOLa for the Texas-Tulane game a few years back. None of us were in shape to attend, much less remember, that game. Now I'm I'm even older, and this kind of tempation is just pure evil.

Like my friend Matt says, "nothing good happens after 2 a.m."

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?