b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Movies: Academy Award Nominees 

Winners will be announced Feb. 27 at the 77th Academy Awards. View the nominees here.

I didn't see any real surprises, though I am disapoointed that The Passion of the Christ garnered just three nominations (Cinematography, Makeup and Original Score). Still, it's three more nominations than Michael Moore received, and that's a good thing.

Before I offer up any predictions, I need to seee a few films: Hotel Rwanda, Million Dollar Baby, Ray, Vera Drake and Being Julia (at least I'll try to see those last two). Until then, a few initial thoughts...

Highlights:

- Kate Winslet didn't get the double nomination, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Best Actress win for her role in Eternal Sunshine.

- Though I haven't seen three of the performances yet, I'm going out on a limb to say that this could be the strongest Best Actor field in years.

- Did I mention that Fahrenheit 9/11 received zero nominations?

Lowlights:

- C'mon, Mel deserved a little better? At least throw him a bone with Art Direction.

- The Best Supporting Actor category looks fairly weak. Alan Alda's The Aviator role was nothing special.

- No kudos for Garden State, which surprises me. It wasn't a Best Picture contender, but strong acting and quirky stories usually mean at least a nomination or two.

- Paul Giamati gets shut out of the Best Actor field, yet Sideways gets a nod for Best Picture.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?