b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 25, 2004

Politics:One of 'Those' People? 

I didn't see Fahrenheit 9/11 in the theater and I've been out of college for five years, so I don't come into contact with the loony left too often, thank God. An incident this weekend made me realize how lucky I am.

I was in Temple visiting my family, and an old friend, Rick, was in town as well. I rarely see him anymore, which is good, because we don't have much in common these days, and his tendency to try and act a lot smarter than he actually is annoys me to no end. But he ended up staying at my brother's place so he was around all weekend.

After the Texas win Saturday night, we all went out to eat, and for some reason the conversation shifted to politics. He had made several anti-Bush comments during the day, so I knew he was no fan of the President, but when I pressed him for a reason, I was literally shocked.

Rick: "Didn't you see Fahrenheit 9/11? Bush is an evil man."
Me: "Fahrenheit 9/11? Are you serious?"
Rick: "It was a great movie."
Me: "Your whole anti-Bush stance stems from a fictional movie from Michael Moore?"
Rick: "It's all true."
Me: "You do realize that basing a political opinion on a Michael Moore movie is like trying to use a Tom & Jerry cartoos to prove a Physics Theory.
Rick: "If it wasn't true then how come no one has sued him?"

At that point I stopped. I could have gone into a spiel about how damn near impossible it is to win a slander/libel lawsuit, but he would have just responded with an asinine rant about how he has studied law, even though his college experience was limited to a U.S. History survey course at the local junior college.

I knew that the Michael Moore disciples existed. I just never thought anyone that I knew would be among their ranks. Thank God he lives in Texas and his Jabba the Hutt-influenced vote won't matter anyway.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?