b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 13, 2004

Sports: Not-a-Fan Fans 

This section of Peter King's weekly "Monday Morning Quarterback" column has me scratching my head a little.

Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week

Thirtyish Man, a full four sheets to the wind, sitting two stools down at the Winking Lizard in downtown Cleveland Saturday night around 10:30: "You a Browns fan?''

Me, trying to watch Red Sox-Mariners: "No, not really.''

Thirtyish Man: "Ravens?''

Me: "Nah. I like football, but I don't really root for one team.''

Thirtyish man: "You gotta like somebody!''

Me: "No I don't.''

Pause.

Thirtyish man: "I don't believe you."
I, too, know people that love football and don't cheer for any particular team, so I believe him. The behavior, though, baffles me. It's not that you can't just like football, but if you don't have one team that supercedes every other team, then what real joy do you take from it? It's like not having a favorite band.

I'll watch the NFL because it's a game and I enjoy watching. But unless the Cowboys are playing, or I have a bet riding on the outcome, it's really not that big of a deal.And as far as college football is concerned, I've gotten to the point where I don't even care to watch if the Longhorns aren't playing, unless the game in some way affects them.

Any casual fans care to explain to me what I'm missing? I'm curious. If you don't have a sense of loyalty to one team, then what draws you to the sport each week?


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?