b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 20, 2004

Movies: Upcoming Titles 

According to my IMDB voting history, I have seen twenty-one movies (just counting 2004 releases) this year, though I'm sure I might have forgotten to rate a movie here or there. Nevertheless, at the risk of sounding like a trendy movie snob, I have to say that 2004 has been a weak year for film. Right now I'd rank my top five as:

1a. The Passion of the Christ
1b. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Miracle
4. Kill Bill Vol. 2
5. Troy

The first four were solid; number five an example of mediocrity rising above a lot of garbage. I'm hoping that some of 2004's remaining releases might salvage a crappy year at the movies, and I still have a few already released titles that I'd like to see.

In theaters now:

Garden State- I've heard nothing but good things about this movie, though I have no idea what it is about.

Before Sunset- My Rhetoric & Composition prof at UT required us to write a paper about Before Sunrise, the original on which this sequel is based. It was a typical Richard Linklater film, full of witty dialogue and empathetic characters. I imagine this one will follow suit.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow- It has the potential to be a train wreck, but Sky Captain's look and feel intrigues me.

Upcoming (subject to grow):

The Forgotten (9/24)- I enjoyed The Butterly Effect earlier this year, and this thriller looks like something in the same vein.

Ladder 49 (10/1)- In a post-9/11 world, how can you not want to see a movie that heroicly portrays firemen?

Friday Night Lights (10/8)- I've read the book and I visited Odessa in the glory days of Permian football. Good or bad, this film should more accurately portray the grandeur and pageantry of Texas High School football than that abomination, Varsity Blues, did.

Finding Neverland (10/22)- Before my family had a VCR, we had a record player, and the most often played record was Disney's Peter Pan. Maybe I still have a soft spot for the story, but this drama about Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie looks interesting.

Be Cool (November)- This sequel will most likely disappoint (as sequels are wont to do), but I'm willing to give Chili Palmer a chance. Get Shorty is one of my faves.

Ocean's Twelve (12/10)- See above. Again, though, I'm willing to take a chance on this sequel, especially since the entire cast returns.

Meet the Fockers (12/22)- Yet another sequel. I'll admit that the preview I recently saw left me unimpressed. This might drop from the list by December.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?