b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Astros: Good Things Happen in Bed 

Well not usually those things, in my case, but baseball worked out for me last night. I turned in for the evening with Montreal and Chicago tied, while the Giants and Padres led Colorado and St. Louis, respectively.

As I slept, Houston inched closer to the Wild Card. I awoke to learn that the Cubs, Giants and Padres all ended up losing, meaning that the Astros came into today a mere half-game out of the WC lead. Seven strong innings from the Rocket, as well as four -- count'em FOUR -- first-inning jacks from Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman and Lamb, have Houston poised to tie Chicago atop those standings. They lead Cinci 5-1 in the 8th.

WHEW!

Cinci got a run back off of the Astros bullpen in the 8th, and it took four guys to get the final six outs, including a twenty-six pitch effort from Brad Lidge in the 9th. But Houston hangs on for the 5-1 win, and now the pressure is on the Cubs.

Chicago has Kerry Wood facing a tomato can later tonight, so they'll probably regain the lead. But Houston has now strung together twelve consecutive wins. For about the hundredth time in the past month, I'm going to say: Amazing!

Like John Kerry with his service or ESPN and their quarter century, I'm sure I sound like a broken record lately. I don't know what else to say. There comes a point when your team plays so horribly that you fnd yourself saying, "they can come back," just because you don't really believe it and you're trying to convince youself.

I'm not sure that I ever really did convince myself. It doesn't matter, though, because they came back anyway.

Amazing. Amazing amazing amazing. What else can you say?


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?