b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Politics:Maybe I I Made a Mistake? 

I voted for Alan Keyes in the primary four years ago. But now I'm thinking that I'm glad he didn't win. What is this?

You're unlikely to find a bigger proponent of civil rights than myself. But reparations? Come on.

Blacks aren't the only group to experience discrimination in our country's history. Jews have suffered the same ill-treatment, as have a number of groups (e.g, the Irish, Hispanics, etc.). The answer isn't giving people preferential treatment.

Discrimination is a horrible thing. But retroactive action isn't the way to go. I'm of the firm belief that people are ultimately responsible for their own actions. As long as a candidate espouses a position that says any group deserves that kind of preferential treatment, then I can't in good conscience support him.

Maybe Keyes is just trying to garner the middle-gound support, but this is the wrong way to go about it. I belive that class differences are more influential than racial ones. i came from a family that made little money, but I worked hard in college to get past that.

Now I'm in a postion where maybe I'm not working my dream job. But I do at least have a job, and everything I have, I have I owe to my own hard work and determination. My racial background has not helped me at all.

Rugged Individualism is the defining American characteristic, and it should never be compomised, especially not by those who claim to be conservatives. Keyes is barking up the wrong proverbial tree on this issue.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?