b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 30, 2004

Politics: RNC Night One 

Is it just me, or does seeing Ron Silver pimping for President Bush throw off anyone else? I mean, he did get Josiah Bartlett re-elected on The West Wing, but GWB isn't a liberal Yankee Democrat.

'Moore' of McCain

John McCain defends the Iraqi War and labels Michael Moore a "disingenious filmmaker." I love that he didn't use the bomb-throwing liberal's name, and I love even more (no pun intended) that we're going to get to see that clip on evernew show and update for the next twenty-four hours.

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Rudy Guiliani on Sept. 11, 2001: "Thank God George Bush is our President." You aren't the only one who thanked God on that day. I said the same thing then, and I say the same thing now.

Liberal watch

Michael Moore laughs out loud when McCain blasts him. Al Franken applauds when Guiliani thanks John Kerry for Kerry's service. I'm still trying to figure out why these guys are in attendance? Franken I can see; he's apparently covering the convention for the two markets that still have Air America. But Moore?

More Rudy

Guiliani:

My point about John Kerry being inconsistent is best described in his own words when he said, “I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it.”

Maybe this explains John Edwards’ need for two Americas - - one where John Kerry can vote for something and another where he can vote against the same thing.
As funny as that quote is, Guiliani actually topped himself moments earlier with (according to this pre-released transcript) this ad-lib:

When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, John Kerry voted against the Persian Gulf War. (crowd begins to boo) [ad-lib]He evidently heard you booing. [/ad-lib] Later he said he actually supported the war.


Who needs Obama?

Great speech overall from Guiliani. If you missed it, then go read the transcript above. He might not have the oratory abilities of a Barack Obama or a Bill Clinton, but he connects with the crowd just as well. And unlike Clinton, Guiliani relies on more than just snide barbs meant to belittle the opposition. Rudy's speech tugs at the heartstrings. I'm sure those on the Left will cry foul, charging Guiliani with "politicizing 9/11," but if there are two men on the planet who have that right, they are Rudy Guiliani and George W. Bush.

I said that I agreed with Guiliani when he said "Thank God George Bush is our President." But I also thank God Rudy Guiliani was Mayor of New York on that day. Dire moments demand strong leadership, and Rudy Guiliani embodies that, as he showed tonight.

Mea Culpa

I was busy trying to type during the finale of John McCain's address, and I think that I sold him short. His final few lines rivaled something that Ronald Reagan might have uttered. As Fox replayed it, I noticed something that I missed the first time: tears. McCain fought back tears as he wrapped up the address, and as I re-read his words, I found myself doing the same.

Take courage
from the knowledge that our military superiority is matched only by the superiority of our ideals,
and our unconquerable love for them.
Our adversaries are weaker than us in arms and men, but weaker still in causes. They fight to
express a hatred for all that is good in humanity.
We fight for love of freedom and justice, a love that is invincible. Keep that faith. Keep your
courage. Stick together. Stay strong.
Do not yield. Do not flinch. Stand up. Stand up with our President and fight.
We’re Americans.
We’re Americans, and we’ll never surrender.
They will.
Day One Impressions

The GOP "gets it." They've put up their more moderate front -- the guys that don't always toe the party line when it comes to some Republican ideals. But the act of using people like McCain, Guiliani, or even the Governator or Zell Miller, shows that the party is unified behind one central theme -- national security. The endorsements from moderate conservatives reinforce the idea that this election boils down to that issue. America wants a leader that will protect us from Terror and stand up for the best interests of our nation.

Look at Zell Miller, or even Dennis Miller. Look at the fiery introduction given tonight by Ron Silver. These are people that understand the reality of a post-9/11 world. I would guess that some notable (or at least semi-recognizeable) public figure might have distanced his or her self from the GOP/Right Wing because of the Bush doctrine, but I have yet to find one.

I would almost guarantee that the support of moderate to liberal opponents, which President Bush's stances and actions in the War on Terror have attracted, outnumber the resentment of former allies by a healthy margin. "The president is doing exactly the right thing," lifelong liberal Ron Silver screamed in his intro. Yes he is, Ron. And the GOP is doing the right thing by showcasing that kind of bi-partisan support.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?