b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Longhorns: My Texas Football Pedigree 

Practice starts today! With a 6 p.m. start, I might head down there. If so, I will have a report afterward. But in the spirit of football's official opening, I thought I would post my own personal history with UT Football.

Record in games I've Attended: 50-16-1
Home: 42-10-1
Road: 6-6
Bowl: 2-0
v. Oklahoma: 2-2
v. A&M: 4-0
v. Nebraska: 3-0
v. Texas Tech: 3-3
v. Baylor: 6-4

First Game: 1986 @ Baylor. L 13-18
If I recall correctly, this game was notorious for Texas QB Bret Stafford throwing the ball out of bounds to stop the clock on Texas' potential game-winning drive. Too bad it was already fourth down.

First Home Game: 1988 v. North Texas W 28-24
The Horns trailed 24-7 in the second half, and Kerry cash's game-winning TD catch (or was it Keith?) was made about two feet out of bounds. [sarcasm] Man, I do miss the glory days of Texas Football, when we needed home cooking to beat North Texas. [/sarcasm]

Best Game Attended: 1999 v. Nebraska W 24-20
When Nebraska's final fourth down pass fell incomplete, I turned to high five a complete stranger. I completely missed, and hit him in the face, knocking his glasses to the ground. He shook it off and grabbed me in a elated hetero victory embrace.

Favorite Game Attended: 1990 v. Texas A&M W 28-27
My dad and I sat in the temporary South End Zone folding chairs. The seats weren't the best, but I got to witness Mark Berry stuff Darren Lewis' go-ahead two-point conversion run from about 50 feet away.

Worst Game Attended: 2006 v. Oklahoma (Dallas) L 13-65
$200 down the drain. How bad was it? OU fans tried to cheer us up on the way out. "It's okay, man, keep your head up."

Least Favorite Game Attended: 1992 @ Baylor L 20-21
Worst. Officiating. Ever. I've never seen a more irate Texas crowd after a game. Vince McMahon couldn't have orchestrated a better screwjob that afternoon.

Best Road Trip: 2002 @ Tulane W 49-0
I remember the game, at least vaguely. What I really remember was the the Burnt Orange deluge of Bourbon Street, a horse cop that flashed the Hoom'Em with us in a photo, and a street musician playing "The Eyes of Texas" as we passed him.

Worst Road Trip: 2002 @ Texas Tech L 42-38
I think Wes Welker might still be running circles around the Texas secondary.

Game I Most Regret Not Attending: 1990 v. Houston W 45-24
In two-plus decades of watching Texas Football, I've never see a more dominant Longhorn win. Houston wasn't any old team. They were the #3 team in the country, and Texas flat-out whipped their ass.

Favorite Longhorn Moments:
1. Ricky Williams's 60-yard TD run to break the NCAA all-time ruhing record in 1998.
2. 4th and Inches: James Brown to Derek Lewis in the 1996 Big XII title game.
3. Tony Jones' miracle catch to beat Arkansas on the final play in 1987.
4. Berry's play against A&M in 1990.
5. Stonie Clark's goalline stop to preserve a 17-10 Texas win against OU in 1994.
6. Bubba Jacques' fumble return for a TD to beat OU, 10-7, in 1991.
7. Phil Dawson's 50-yard game-winner against Virginia in 1995.
8. Priest Holmes' "Superman" TD to beat North Carloina in the 1994 Sun Bowl.
9. Beau Trahan kneeling the PAT attempt to hold Texas at 44 on "Cole Pittman Day" in the 2001 UNC game.
10. Chris Simms' second half TD passes to each of the "Big Three" against A&M in 2000.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?