b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Astros: f the Braves 

If you asked 100 Astros fans to name the NL team that they hate the most, I'm pretty sure that a majority would say "Atlanta" before you even finished the question. A loss in tonight's season finale with the Braves would only reinforce that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still hate Ted Turner's club if we won 25-0, but a loss tonight would drop Houston back to .500, placing them squarely behind the eight ball in the Wild card race.

With golf and softball keeping me busy the past two nights, I have yet to see a game in this series. But with the season riding on every pitch, I intend to spend this evening in front of the TV, hoping that Houston can can pull out another series.

I think I'll pick up a 12-pack on the way home.

No beer, no breaks

So I decided against the beer, but the night is still young. Had I bought some, I probably would have already had a few. Carlos Beltran's solo home run in the 1st put the Astros up, 1-0, but they should have had more. Bidge opened with a shot down the LF line, but the ball caromed off of the stands, back toward Rafeal Furcal, holding Biggio to a single. Adam Everett bounced into a double play a few pitches later, leaving the bases empty for Carlos.

Now starter Darren Oliver has exited with an injury after a 1-2-3 1st inning. Kirk Bullinger is in. This could get ugly.

HORSES--T!!!

Home Plate ump Brian Norman needs to get shipped back to Little League. Mike Hampton had gone to 3-0 against Bullinger, with 2 down and men on first and second. His fourth pitch was no less that three inches below Bullinger's knees. It wasn't even close. Ball Four? Nope. Called strike. Bullinger chases a ball in his eyes for strike two, and K's looking on the next pitch. Craig Biggio should be up with the bases loaded.

I cannot stress how poor the state of umpiring is these days in Major League Baseball.

Good game so far

Astros take a 3-1 lead in the 4th with a 2-out rally! Adam Everett atones for his earlier error with a two-run single. I have to give a lot of credit to Kirk Bullinger. He pitched three strong innings, allowing just one unearned run.

Oh crap

It's time for another segment with Yvette-Casaras Willis. Man, I hate these. I seriously wonder if this chick knows the difference in a baseball and a football. Watching the Bills fawn all over her annoys me to no end. Tonight she was pimping the Jeff Bagwell nesting dolls again. At least Brownie didn't call him cute this time.

She wasn't the only guest in the booth tonight. Actor Tony Danza visited the Bills to promote some new project. It doesn't feature Alyssa Milano, so I wasn't paying attention. I did, however, catch a brief shot of Worrell making the most blatant "I can't believe I'm saying this" look since Brown's man-love profession during the aforementioned nesting doll incident.

Worrell might suck as an announcer, but his expressions during those booth-cam shots sometimes make up for it.

Now we get a break

Bases loaded, one out, up 3-1, looking for insurance... who do you want at the plate? Well not Brad Ausmus, that's for sure. But Brad's anemic bat actually works out this time. His slow chopper trickles over pitcher Craig Gryboski's glove, scoring Berkman, and Biggio later works a two-out walk, upping the lead to 5-1.

I'm sick

Mike Gallo: two-run double. David Weathers: two-run homer. 5-5 in the 7th. Kirk Bullinger has to be the most pissed off man in the city of Houston right now.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?