b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Astros: Crunch Time 

I think that I'm starting to wear out this whole theme of "Every day is a must-win game." Despite its redundant use, it's the reality of Astros baseball for the remainder of the season.

Yesterday's 3-2, 13-inning loss was a huge blow. The Houston bats went quiet (no hits after the 8th) during Saturday's make-up portion, wasting a quality performance from the 'pen. But an 8-0 win in the nightcap put the Stros in position to salvage the series.

Two 2nd-inning runs in today's game have given the Astros an early lead. Roy O looks sharp as well, so they're holding on.

Okay, I admit it

I got frustrated when Cincinnatti took a BP session on Roy O in the 4th, or was it the 5th? I tried to block it out of my mind as I locked the door behind me on the way to a matinee.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the score later. 7-5 Astros -- a 3-run 8th inning propels Houston to its 15th come-from-behind win of the year.

I'm not sure what to make of the win. It keeps Houston afloat with an 8-4 record over their last 12 games. Now enter Atlanta, a team on a 26-8 tear. They visit Minute Maid starting Tuesday, and the Stros need to prove they can win a series from a team with a winning record.

Yep, it's crunch time all over again.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?