b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, July 26, 2004

Politics: A Conservative Reaction to President Kerry? 

Dean Esmay asks "an interesting question for conservatives."

So even if [President Kerry] does things I disagree with in conducting foreign policy, I will say, "I respectfully disagree with the President's directions, but I will do my best to express my dissent respectfully and hope that I am mistaken and that he has made the proper decisions after all."

That's my pledge. How many of you will take a similar one?
I will. I did during the Clinton Era, and I expect I should do the same no matter who sits in the Oval Office. There's a scene in one of the later Band of Brothers episodes that shows Captain Sobel (David Schwimmer) walk past Major Winters with a defiant stone face. "We salute the rank, not the man," Winters barks. That's true of the Presidency. Respect the office, even if you don't respect the man.

Looking at it from another way, let us reference Al Gore, whose last intelligent comment came in his 2000 concession speech: "And while there will be time enough to debate our continuing differences, now is the time to recognize that that which unites us is greater than that which divides us." I believe that remains true, even in spite of the partisan bickering that has marked this campaign.

We're all still Americans, and I think we want to see a strong America -- we just have different ideas of what that is. If Kerry gets elected with a mandate, then I think he will have earned a "honeymoon" to push across his agenda. I won't like it, but that's life. Now what I won't stand for is any cession of American soveriegnty to the U.N., or any other international body. I have a nagging feeling that Kerry would place world opinion above American interests, and that's not okay with me.

But that's a different debate, contrary to the spirit of the original hypothetical.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?