b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Top 25 Sports Movies 

ESPN lists the top 25 sports movies of the past 25 years.

I guess this means that I should list my own favorites:

1. Field of Dreams- I love how it explores baseball's mystical side.
2. Major League- "Hey Bartender, Jobu needs a refill!" Classic lines abound!
3. Eight Men Out- Underrated classic. DB Sweeny wis always be Shoeless Joe to me.
4. Rudy- At the end of Return of the King, I kept picturing Frodo taking of his Notre Dame jersey, saying "let Samwise dress in my place."
5. Hoosiers- Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper.
6. The Natural- dah dahhhhh, dah da da dahhhhhh...
7. Miracle- USA! USA! USA!
8. *61- Barry Pepper nailed it. I begrudgingly give Billy Crystal his credit for this film.
9. Rocky- Still the last sports movie to win Best Picture.
10. A League of Their Own- Maybe just a guilty pleasure of mine.
11. Rounders- I don't care if you don't think Poker's a sport.
12. The Sandlot- It reduces baseball to what it is: a kid's game
13. Caddyshack- "There's no gambling at Bushwood sir, and I never slice." Classic lines abound (part II).
14. Rocky IV- Does anything better capture the Cold War?
15. The Mighty Ducks- It's the Miracle on Ice... for kids
16. D2: The Mighty Ducks- I'm a fan of any movie where the U.S. sticks it to Europe.
17. The Karate Kid- "GET HIM A BODYBAG... YEAHHHHHHH!" And Elisabeth Shue was hot.
18. Tin Cup- I've also made a 12 on a hole before. And Rene Russo is hot.
19. Jerry Maguire- Football movies usually blow. Good thing this is just sort of a football movie.
20. Bad News Bears- See #12
21. Seabiscuit- The Dude abides... as a rich horse owner.
22. Cobb- Any movie with a cameo from Roger Clemens is okay by me.
23. Little Big League- Goofy, yet endearing. I can't explain it.
24. Rocky II- Hey, he actually won this time.
25. Happy Gilmore- I've never been able to get his swing to work.

And I might as well... my 10 worst:

1. The Scout- It might be the worst movie ever.
2. Varsity Blues- No other movie has ever offended my Texas heritage in such a manner.
3. Rookie of the Year- I'm guessing Gary Busey needed a coke binge to get through this bomb.
4. No Hold's Barred- Wrestling is fake, but this movie's suckitude is 100% real.
5. Major League 3- Why?
6. Major League 2- I liked Parkman. The rest of it blew.
7. The Program- At least they lost to Texas.
8. Any Given Sunday- It was over-the-top; thus, par for Oliver Stone's course
9. Slap Shot- The ridiculous antics from the Hanson brothers is all that saves this overrated tripe from going to #1.
10- Rocky V- See #5.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?