b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 17, 2004

Reefer Madness 

Ricky Williams failed his second NFL drug test over the weekend. Next time he gets caught, the former Heisman winner will face a four-game suspension.

I've heard plenty of stories about Ricky in the past, so this doesn't surprise me. But I am disappointed. I don't care that he smokes pot, to be honest, and I don't want to get into whether or not marijuana should be legal. But I think that this shows a degree of selfishness. Miami has made a huge investment in Ricky. He's the focal point of their offense, and a leader on their team. Why jeopardize your career, and potentially risk the success of your teammates, to get high?

Yes, I understand that a lot of NFL players probably smoke pot. But the simple fact is that it violates a rule that each and every player agrees to follow when he signs that million-dollar contract. Ricky deserves every bit of his $650K fine. I hope it serves as a deterrent from a third offense.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?