b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 13, 2004

DVD Review: Honey 

Honey wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But it wasn't really good, either.

Honey tells the story of an urban girl, who aspires to dance professionally, and in an hour-and-a-half, it captures her rise-and-fall-and-rise-again.

For the most part, Honey conveys a positive message: Work hard and be true to yourself and you can achieve great things. She also displays a selfless side that often isn't found in movies that are based at today's youth. Based on that alone, I give it good marks.

Of course the movie beats you down with awful dialogue, predictable plot points, and enough cheese to keep Velveeta in business for the next decade.

Being the shallow male that I am, I watched this solely for the love of my life, Jessica Alba. And yes, even as a "hood rat," she was her enchanting self. But I really hope she starts to get some roles that take her beyond, "yo, whassup?" I couldn't stomach her TV series, Dark Angel because of that garbage, and the cheesy ghetto slang hurt Honey just as much.

RANT: Why do media/entertainment types insult audiences with that kind of dialogue? I know plenty of people that speak in what the condescending elitist types would call "ebonics." And say what you want about their language skills, they don't sound corny and forced the way it comes off on the screen (*cough* Stuart Scott *cough*).

Anyway, despite it's flaws, I rate Honey as a decent movie. It's definitely worthy of more than the 3.5 it received at the IMDB. I'll even bump my rating up a point, partly to counter the haters, but mainly because of beautiful Jessica.

6/10

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?