b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

2012 Olympics: NYC? 

New York has made the finalist list to host the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Jeff Jarvis hopes they don't get it.

And are the Olympics worth it? There's little magic left to the event, following drug scandals and chronic politicization. The expense is great and the return minimal at best. I don't think we want to win this contest.

I disagree.

Maybe it's because I live in an American-centric world, but no country puts on a show like the U.S. when it comes to the Olympics. In my lifetime, we've hosted the Summer games twice (LA '84; Atlanta '96) and the Winter games twice (Lake Placid '80; Salt Lake City '02), and the only comparable foreign event was the 2000 Sydney games.

I have a nagging feeling that this Summer's Olympiad in Athens will fail miserably. But that's all the more reason to get the games back in the U.S. as soon as possible.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?