b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 24, 2004

NFL Draft 2004 

I have nothing else to do, so I figure I'll blog the Draft until I get bored with it (which will probably be long before Dallas picks).

Anyway...

Lots of boos so far for Eli Manning. Chris Mortensen wonders why? Maybe because he hasn't taken a snap in the league and he's already making demands like a Super Bowl winner.

I don't blame Manning. I wouldn't want to play for Marty Schottenheimer either. But Mortensen's comment was dumb.

Classy way to start... Paul Tagliabue has some kind words about Pat Tillman, whose jersey is encased in glass on the stage. The fans in attendance follow up a moment of silence with chants of "USA."

1. San Diego: Eli Manning! haha... The crowd is giving him hell. Eli's trying to smile, but he looks sick. Chants now of "Eli Sucks." Chris Berman is touting Eli's "classy move." Whatever, jock-rider.

Eli: "I've dealt with boos before... I hope another team would trade for me... We've told the Chargers what would happen if they drafted me."

btw, Matt is doing his own running update at Longhorn Fanzone.

2. Oakland: Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa... I don't know much about this guy, but he looks like he'll fit in well in the Black Hole. The Oakland fans are a much happier bunch right now than the San Diego fans.

Mel Kiper Jr. just used "dominance" and "rugged" a total of about 15 times in the span of 90 seconds. Mortensen and Irvin debate whether they should have taken a QB. I think Chad Hutchinson might be available.

3. Arizona: Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh... No surprise here, based on Fitz's past with Denny Green. I think Roy Williams is better, but Fitz will do well in Arizona, opposite Anquan Boldin.

Mike Irvin says that if Green uses Fitzgerald like he did Cris Carter, "look for him to be a Hall of Famer." Strong words.

4. NY Giants: Philip Rivers, QB, NC State... The ESPN boys are convinced that NY is going to trade Rivers. Berman says, "not a name that a lot of people know." What? He was on every 2003 preseason Heisman watch list. If you follow football, and you haven't heard of him, you don't watch too closely.

Rivers: "I'll be excited to see what happens... As of right now, I'm approaching like I'll be a Giant."

Check out Suzy Kolber. She's making eyes with every interview subject. I swear that at some point today, the camera's going to switch to her, only to catch her winking and sucking on her finger.

5. Washington: Sean Taylor, S, Miami...

San Diego and NY Giants trade picks. Giants also give San Diego a 3rd-round pick today, and a 1st and 5th next year. Amazing. They originally said 1st and 3rd. Mortensen says that this should signal Kerry Collins' exit from NY. Maybe Oakland might have an interest.

Back to Taylor... "poor" guy is going to have his moment in the spotlight overshadowed by the trade. I like Taylor. He should help shore up the Skins' secondary, now without CB Champ Bailey. The ESPN guys finally mention Taylor, as Detroit is down to five minutes on the clock.

Sal Paolontonio is now reporting that Jim Fassel will not coach the Giants next year. No, seriously, he's just interviewing NY's GM, Ernie Accorsi. Accorsi: "We all felt this was the QB you wait for, for a long time. We're thrilled to have him."

Potential trade brewing with Detroit and Cleveland.

6. Cleveland (via Detroit): Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami... Another Hurricane... This guy's a punk. In the wake of Pat Tillman's death, I wonder of Winslow is still going to label himself a "f---ing soldier"?

Kiper is a slobbering over Winslow. Irvin: "They need a guy that loves to play the football game." *Yawn*

7. Detroit: Roy Williams, WR, Texas... Berman compares Roy's suit to Irvin's. Snark! Roy and Charlie Rogers on opposite sides? Detroit might have something going now. That's turning into the University of Texas-North, with Shaun Rogers, Cory Redding and Rod Babers also on the roster.

I can't tell if Roy is happy or not. Irvin wonders what took him so long to come out. I think Roy has answered that question time and again. He didn't feel he had the maturity, after his Junior season, to handle the NFL.

The Lions get Cleveland's 2nd Round pick in the deal (#37 overall).

8. Atlanta: DeAngelo Hall, CB, Atlanta... okay, I'm bored now.

I'll update sporadically throughout the day, but I might have time to watch a movie before Dallas picks.

UPDATES:

- Best news so far today: I don't have to change the site's description to 'I love John Kerry.'

- Tommie Harris goes to the Bears, and Berman horribly mispronounces "Killeen, Texas." My friend Paul, a Chicago native now living in Denver, just called from Coors Field. His enjoyment of a day at the ballpark was soured by the news of Harris heading to the Bears.

- It looks like Dallas might still have a good RB option on the board when they draft.

- One thing I've noticed so far is that EA Sports has yet to air a Madden 05 commerical. Last year's spots with Ray Lewis hazing the rooks made the draft much more interesting. The lack of ads today makes for a letdown.

- Okay, after 21 picks, SIX Miami Hurricanes have had their names called (Taylor, Winslow, DJ Williams, Vernon Carey, Vince Wilfork, Jonathan Vilma). Six guys in the first 21 picks? How did Miami only win one National Title in the past four years? Everyone blasts Mack Brown for doing less with more, but Texas won't even have six guys drafted, let alone drafted in the first round. And Miami doesn't have to deal with the Big XII. Now I'm as critical of Mack as the next guy, but come on...

- Dallas trades their pick. I can't say that I'm not disappointed that Dallas didn't take Stephen Jackson. He's a stud. Dallas gets a 2nd and 5th this year, and a 1st next year. I like that. Now I think that the Cowboys will take Tatum Bell, if he's there. Plus, you still get a chance at an OL or a DB with the other 2nd-rounder.

- Marcus Tubbs to the Seahawks! I guess Seattle is now the University of Texas-Northwest (DD Lewis and Ced Woodward).

- Best moment of the first round -- Michael Irvin and Ron Jaworski in an animated debate about who should start at QB in Cinci, Carson Palmer or John Kitna. I understand the business aspect that says play the guy making the money (Palmer), but like Irvin argued, Kitna took that team from 2-14 to 8-8, and they just missed the playoffs. Kitna deserves to play, and if not in Cinci, then somewhere else.

- Dallas makes its first pick (#44 overall) -- Julius Jones from Notre Dame (Denver grabbed Tatum Bell two spots earlier). I don't know about this pick. Kiper says it's a good pick and Irvin makes an Emmitt Smith comparison, but I get the feeling that Cowboys fans might have Stephen Jackson on the brain all year. Now... if Dallas can get a solid CB with their next pick, then I think the gamble might prove smart. They obviously have to do something about Mario Edwards' exit.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?