b The Longhorn Mafia <$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, April 30, 2004

Fore! 

Yesterday I took the afternoon off from work to hit the links. My friend Robert and I played the new Falconhead course out near Lakeway.

Considering I hadn't swung my clubs but once since last Fall -- a brief range session on Monday, where I just practiced my wedge -- I wasn't too disappointed in my triple-digit score, no doubt inflated by a tough course. Not suprisingly, the only club I consistently hit well was the wedge. Too bad I couldn't figure out those greens.

The highlight of the day came on the opening hole. Robert stuck a 6 Iron from about 165 yards, about six feet from the pin. It hopped and danced, and trickled into the hole, for an eagle. He went on to shoot a one-over 73.

We got a reduced weekday rate of $40, but I believe the weekend rate doubles that fee. I'd recommend giving Falconhead a try, but practice that driver and putter before you start. The wide-open fairways forgive the occasional misplaced drive, but it throws a barrage of long par 4s your way. And the tricky greens make you work to avoid three-putting.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?